Reply to topic    Skunked.ca Forum Index » Weather View previous topic
View next topic
Frigid 2010 Forcast
St Clair Hound
Gold Club Member

Post Frigid 2010 Forcast Reply with quote
From the Farmers Almanac

How cold will the winter weather be?
Old Man Winter doesn’t want to give up his frigid hold just yet, but his hold will mostly be in the middle of the country.

According to the 2010 Farmers’ Almanac, this winter will see more days of shivery conditions: a winter during which temperatures will average below normal for about three-quarters of the nation.

A large area of numbingly cold temperatures will predominate from roughly east of the Continental Divide to west of the Appalachians (see map). The coldest temperatures will be over the northern Great Lakes and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. But acting almost like the bread of a sandwich, to this swath of unseasonable cold will be two regions with temperatures that will average closer to normal—theWest Coast and the East Coast.

What about snow/rain/ice?

Near-normal amounts of precipitation are expected over the eastern third of the country, as well as over the Pacific Northwest and Northern Plains, while drier-than-normal conditions are forecast to occur over the Southwest and the Upper Midwest/Great Lakes.

Only the Central and Southern Plains are expected to receive above-average amounts of precipitation.

Blizzards?

While three-quarters of the country is predicted to see near- or below average precipitation this winter, that doesn’t mean there won’t be any winter storms! On the contrary, significant snowfalls are forecast for parts of every zone. For the Middle Atlantic and Northeast States, for instance, we are predicting a major snowfall in mid-February; possibly even blizzard conditions for New England (indeed, even shovelry is not dead).

Southern Ontario Weather Archive

Here is the long range forecast for fall and winter 2009-2010 courtesy of Brett Anderson. This winter is forecasted to be the snowiest winter in five years for parts of the Northeast. Remember the years 2002-2003 when snowstorms came just one after another. Cities in Southern Ontario were struggling to find the funds to clear all the snow away. This scenario could repeat itself again this winter. I realize the map does not show southern Ontario getting a lot of snow, but usually these storms take a more inland track rather than coming up the east coast. It is just a hunch, but I guess only time will tell.

November
--Unusually mild across Alaska and the Yukon Territory. Precipitation below-normal.
--Colder than normal across the Prairies. Precipitation below-normal from Saskatchewan to Manitoba, but snowfall above-normal over Alberta and the Canadian Rockies.
--Precipitation above-normal from the central Rockies through the central Plains and into the Great Lakes, Ontario and Northeast.
--Chilly pattern from northwestern Ontario through central Quebec.
--Slightly milder than normal over Atlantic Canada. Rainfall close to normal.

December
--Still warmer than normal from interior Alaska through the Yukon Territory and down into northern BC. Drier than normal as well.
--Below-normal precipitation over southern BC, Alberta and the Pacific Northwest. Temperatures close to normal.
--Wet pattern over California and into the southern Rockies compared to normal.
--Dry over most of the prairies, temperatures below-normal over Manitoba.
--Above-normal precipitation from the central and southern plains through the Midwest, Great Lakes, Northeast and into southern/eastern Ontario, southern Quebec and the Maritime. Temperatures in this zone close to normal, but below-normal over most of Ontario and the Great lakes region.
--Temperatures slightly above-normal over Newfoundland with near-normal precipitation.

January 2010
--Unusually dry and mild over Alaska and into northern BC and the Yukon Territory.
--Drier compared to normal over southern BC and the Pacific Northwest with temperatures near to slightly above-normal.
--Active storm track into California.
--A lot of cold air pushing down through the central and eastern Prairies and down into the northern U.S. Plains, Great Lakes, Midwest, northwestern Ontario and central Quebec.
--Above-normal precipitation from the southern Plains through the Middle Atlantic States.
--Temperatures close to normal over the Northeast U.S. and Maritime. Precipitation close to normal.

Despiite what the Pronasticators are saying. THERE WILL BE NO ICE THIS YEAR!!!!! Cold scream

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways - Fishing rod in one hand - beer in the
other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming
"WOO HOO, What a Ride!"

http://dogriverlodge.com

Last edited by St Clair Hound on Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:34 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
96dak

Post Reply with quote
thats the post we've all been waiting to see Laughing

here, i have this for you Bruce
Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:03 pm
St Clair Hound
Gold Club Member

Post Reply with quote
Yikes Laugh my a... Laugh my a... Laugh my a... Laugh my a... Laugh my a... Laugh my a...

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways - Fishing rod in one hand - beer in the
other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming
"WOO HOO, What a Ride!"

http://dogriverlodge.com
Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:05 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
walleyepro1
2000 Post Club

Post Reply with quote
hey dave pull up your pant's might get frost bitten down there lol.bring on the cold weather and the snow can stay far away.come on hardwater season.hate it when we get snow before we can get some good ice. Mad

Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:22 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Skunked.ca Forum Index » Weather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: