Skunked.ca Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlist Log in

Newbie but Oldie

Reply to topic    Skunked.ca Forum Index » Intros and Welcomes View previous topic
View next topic
Newbie but Oldie
Poppa
Avid Angler

Post Newbie but Oldie Reply with quote
Morning all. I just got my email last night approving my membership so I thought I would just take a few minutes to introduce myself. I am new to the board but am an oldie to fishing and hunting. I am retired and 64 years young but some days I just feel old. I have a wife, 4 kids and 9 grand kids, one dog 2 cats (my wifes) and 2 birds. I live near Miners Bay which is a part of Gull Lake located just south of Minden Ont on Hy 35. I've been fishing since I was about 2 when my dad would take me out to the old log near the weedbed at our cottage in the Kawartha Lake area, to catch all the Perch and Sunfish I could. I can't remember a time I haven't fished except for a short period in the mid 90's when I was unable to due to a car accident. I fished tournaments in the 80's and early 90's when they were just getting started in Ontario but now just fish for pleasure. I bought a new Ranger in 2004 and the day I christened it I caught a 53 1/2" Muskie while fishing for Walleyes on Balsam Lake. My favorite fish to catch is Bass but will fish for anything in season. My daughters boyfriend got me into fly fishing a few years ago and I quite enjoyed it. Then I got hooked on centerpin fishing and days I can't get out in the boat I'll head out with the fly and centerpin rods. I'm looking forward to the upcoming ice fishing season, just not the cold. Bought a used permanent hut at the end of last year. My days of wandering around on the open ice, chasing fish are limited to sunny warm days and late March early April till the ice goes out. My favorite areas to fish are Haliburton County, Kawartha Lakes, Lake Simcoe/Couchiching, Georgian Bay, Ganraska and Beaver Rivers.

I'm sure I will learn from other members on the board and will contribute my thoughts (for what they are worth) and experiences (that I can remember) as well.

Fish Safe and Often

Poppa
Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:37 am View user's profile Send private message
Crazzyjunior
Gold Club Member

Post Reply with quote
Welcome to skunked

Glad to have ya. You should fit right in with some of the other old fogey's on here like Fisheye...lol

Crazzyjunior

Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:06 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mark steinert
Gold Club Member

Post Reply with quote
Welcome
Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
Seastar
Gold Club Member

Post Reply with quote
Welcome from another oldie. Wisdom

Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:14 pm View user's profile Send private message
Gouldy
1000 Post Club

Post Reply with quote
Welcome.

I was luckey enough to have a friend take me to minners bay last winter for some hard water lake trout action. And action we got. Ended up with 2 dozen 14" and 2 over 25". Beautiful country side up that way. A beautiful place to retire.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:49 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
St Clair Hound
Gold Club Member

Post Reply with quote
Welcome aboard . Looking forward to your contributions.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways - Fishing rod in one hand - beer in the
other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming
"WOO HOO, What a Ride!"

http://dogriverlodge.com
Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:28 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Fishing Farmer
Gold Club Member

Post Reply with quote
Ahoy

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:17 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Poppa
Avid Angler

Post Reply with quote
Thanks for the welcome. Gouldy I think you did better at Miners Bay than I did all of last winter. For the months of Jan. and Feb. I used Fireline Crystal with a flourocarbon leader and never landed one fish. For March and April I switched back to Berkley Sensation and started catching fish again. I believe that the non stretch lines allow you to feel the fish quicker but the fish can also feel you quicker as well. I know with the non-stretch lines you should sweep the hook but I grew up old school with mono line and you would snap the hook. So I would sit there and repeat over and over. Sweep don't snap--Sweep don't snap---Sweep don't snap---Sweep.........SNAP. D**N. My fellow anglers would LTAO at me. I would just tell them that it was a quicker than normal release. I don't know why I had so many problems ice fishing because I could catch fish with super lines and flourocarbon leaders in the summer months. Last winter the Lakers below and above the slot were numerous as were the Herring. It was the Whitefish that were scarce. I think part of the reason there were extra fish in Gull this year was because there wasn't the pressure it usually gets with the Ministry opening up Zone 17 to year round Pike, Crappie, Perch and Sunfish. A couple of guys on Miners Bay last winter, I assumed were regulars from Simcoe because they were complaining that all they were catching were Herring and had to let them go. I told them that Herring were not only legal to keep but the limit was 120 because they are listed in the regs as a baitfish. Just like Murphy's Law once they knew they could keep them they didn't catch any more. They also didn't know you are only allowed one line on Gull and couldn't keep any Lakers in the slot, 40-50 cm. That's 15.7-21.7 inches for all us old fogies as Crazzyjunior calls us. Just remember that if it wasn't for all us old fogies all you young whippersnappers wouldn't be here. THINK ABOUT IT. LOL Yes Gouldy this is a beautiful place to retire. Since I retired I've had all the time in the world to do whatever everybody else wants me to do because I was retired and they didn't have time. All I wanted to do was go FISHING. The other secret about Zone 15 is.......still a secret.

Fish Safe and Often.

Poppa
Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:59 pm View user's profile Send private message
Crazzyjunior
Gold Club Member

Post Reply with quote
Hey, I appreciate "old fogey's" like you if it wasn't for my Grandfather and my Dad being extremely patient with me I'd never have gotten into this wonderful pass time. I've learned a lot over the years from talking with different old timers, and hope to be able to pass it along to other generations one day too.

Crazzyjunior

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:15 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ice Cat
Fishing Legend

Post Reply with quote
I can vouche foe Crazzyjunior...... Poppa..... I know he means well..... and by the way.... welcome to the Forum.........
I met Crazzyjunior only once and hes alot younger than us older folgeys but felt right away connected because of his
wealth of fishing knowledge and desire to develope a strong committed ownership of all fishing principles

if you dont mind could you tell me about your ice hut the dimensions and such or if you could send some pics of it
Id appreciate it thanks and again welcome to Skunked..............Ice Cat
Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:26 am View user's profile Send private message
Crazzyjunior
Gold Club Member

Post Reply with quote
Ice Cat wrote:
I can vouche foe Crazzyjunior...... Poppa..... I know he means well..... and by the way.... welcome to the Forum.........
I met Crazzyjunior only once and hes alot younger than us older folgeys but felt right away connected because of his
wealth of fishing knowledge and desire to develope a strong committed ownership of all fishing principles

if you dont mind could you tell me about your ice hut the dimensions and such or if you could send some pics of it
Id appreciate it thanks and again welcome to Skunked..............Ice Cat

Aww Shucks Embarassed Embarassed

Thanks IC

Crazzyjunior

Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:39 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    Skunked.ca Forum Index » Intros and Welcomes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: