RegisterSearchFAQMemberlist Log in

How long to smoke fish

Reply to topic    Skunked.ca Forum Index » Recipes View previous topic
View next topic
How long to smoke fish
Ice Cat
Fishing Legend

Post How long to smoke fish Reply with quote
just wondering if anyone knows how long to smoke a certain amount of fish? is there a rule of thumb or something like that?
thanks in advance ............Ice Cat
Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:34 pm View user's profile Send private message
Eric The Pirate
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
It depends, most of us use smokers that are actually more cookers.... It is not a cool smoke like the big curing smaoke houses use. The trick is to smoke your fish just over 120f that way it is warm enough to kill harmful bacteria etc... The average 5LB rainbow fillet can be smoked in as little as 4-6hours or over night depending on the texture your looking to achieve. Myself I prefer a wetter smoked texture where some like drier. Vanselena from this board is a Guru when it comes time to smoke fish... Maybe shoot him a PM.

Seen It All... Done It All... Forgot Most Of It...
Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:25 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ice Cat
Fishing Legend

Post how long to smoke fish Reply with quote
Thanks Eric I appreciate your time..................I just pmed Vanselena for some info.Ice Cat
Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:23 pm View user's profile Send private message
Cucumber Salad

Post Reply with quote
If you have a broiler pan (most stoves come with them) place some wood chips (4 or 5) and some red wine and water 50/50 maybe a half cup in the lower pan. Place the top rack on the pan and place your fish on the rack. Turn your oven down as low as it will cook normally 150 fahrenheit is as low as most will go. in about 3 hours you will have smoked fish.
Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:36 am View user's profile Send private message
hunter148
Fishing Legend

Post Reply with quote
As a rule of thumb fish will only take on as much smoke as they are going to in the first hour in the smoker. I make as much smoke and as little heat, 70-90 degrees, as possible in that time for the first 1-1.5 hours. Then I raise the temps to around 120 for another 2 hours just to get a pellicle(skimm over) established. Once there is a good pellicle raise the temp to around 200 to get any grease or excess moisture out of the fish. I can usually do trout in 4-5 hours, less greasy fish less time. I always cut the fillets in half as the tails are done about 30-45 minutes before the rib sections. I have a large smoker(stainless cart from a hospital they use to deliver meals) with a wood fire underneath so heat is usually not a problem.

Ask always-topless or fisheye about the end product. Always seems when the boys and neighbours see smoke rising it is like a flock of seagulls mysteriously appearing by the smoker.LOL
Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:26 am View user's profile Send private message
Fisheye
Belle River Gang

Post Reply with quote
Yikes Yes Jeff, and your just lucky I don't live closer to you! LOL! Oh BTW, Jeff's smoked Rainbow is to die for! Funny Face

If you want to catch a fish, you have to drink like a fish!

Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:31 am View user's profile Send private message
Eric The Pirate
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I say grown men fight over the last piece of goose jerky... Ummmmm Goose Jerky.... Very Happy

Seen It All... Done It All... Forgot Most Of It...
Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:57 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
bassndude
Trophy hunter

Post Reply with quote
It depends on whether or not you inhale... lol Laugh my a... Laugh my a... Laugh my a... Laugh my a...

JK. Never smoked fish before so I'm not much help... Sorry.
Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:25 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Skunked.ca Forum Index » Recipes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: