FLW Walleye tour
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Skunked.ca Forum Index » Majors View previous topic
View next topic
FLW Walleye tour
justfishguideservice
Gold Club Member

Post FLW Walleye tour Reply with quote
Local angler and site member (Jon Bondy) is sitting 9th after day one of the flw walleye tour with a 3144lbs 5 fish bag. You can follow the action at www.liveleaderboard.com nice job on day 1 Jon! good luck to you on day 2.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:05 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Nickg3369
Fishing Legend

Post Reply with quote
I second that! I'm assuming Jon is strickly jigging the river? I have a feeling I know exactly where he is fishing lol. I wonder if anyone or the leaders made it out to the Lake...
Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
Gee
Fishing Legend

Post Reply with quote
thats great, good luck on day 2
Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:30 pm View user's profile Send private message
justfishguideservice
Gold Club Member

Post Reply with quote
Nickg3369 wrote:
I second that! I'm assuming Jon is strickly jigging the river? I have a feeling I know exactly where he is fishing lol. I wonder if anyone or the leaders made it out to the Lake...
yep, pretty tough trolling in a bass boat..lol. Lots of guys are running to the lake and it will most likely be fish from Erie that will win it but its a gamble cause there are a ton of quality fish in the river this year..

Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:38 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
chartertalk
1000 Post Club

Post Reply with quote
justfishguideservice wrote:
Nickg3369 wrote:
yep, pretty tough trolling in a bass boat..lol. Lots of guys are running to the lake and it will most likely be fish from Erie that will win it but its a gamble cause there are a ton of quality fish in the river this year..

2-3-4 and 5 are all fishing the river. A friend of mine Ed Stachowski is in 3rd, 6th-7th and 8th are fishing the Lake. 6th and 8th-John Gillman and Dean Arnoldussen are team mates with Big Big Baits and Dave Kolb is 7th.
There are a number of Canucks fishing this event that include, Mike and John Kopcok, Joe Bence, Kyle Schoosh and Rusty O Halloran. Good luck to all. It is unfortunate to only see 55 pros and cos in this event.
Today there was a very good bite on the Ont side. I was fishing Anglers Choice worms(brown and purple) with a chartruese 1/2oz jig. Hopefully locals will give the pros some room to fish their waters.

John Gillman's Ranger.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  167.03 KB
 Viewed:  18278 Time(s)

John Gillman's Ranger.jpg

Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:59 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Get The Net Fishing Adven
500 Post Club

Post Reply with quote
How does he fit 5 big walleye in those livewells?????
Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:09 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
mark steinert
Gold Club Member

Post Reply with quote
Good job Jon. Keep it up.
Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:31 pm View user's profile Send private message
justfishguideservice
Gold Club Member

Post Reply with quote
Jon jumped up a few spots today with another bag over 30lbs putting him in 6th.. Very nice, Good-luck on day 3..

Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:30 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Jon Bondy
Fishing Professional

Post Reply with quote
Thanks guys....here is an interview from this morning from Walleye Central. As for the boat, I took the livewell divider out and keep pumping water, lots of it. Plus adding salt helps. In the FLW events the fish must sit upright in the water to be considered alive.....

The interview done by Julia Davis

A WC regular emailed me last night asking me about a Champion Bass Boat in the competition, and asked who was running it. It is indeed a Bass boat and the Pro is none other than BASS Elite Series Pro, Jon Bondy. Jon is from Windsor, ON and is a multi-species guide on several area lakes and rivers including the Detroit River and Lake Erie. I had an interesting chat with him this morning...it went like this:

Juls: Morning Jon, how did your day go on the water yesterday?

Jon: It went really well. I was hoping for a lot more wind, but there was plenty to keep a lot of those guys off the lake. I've got a couple areas that has bit more slack water in the river instead of the main channel...and, some of those big females will hold in there.

We had close to 30 pounds in our first pass...drifting yesterday. Then, after that, all we could catch was clones. I think we culled a couple times the rest of the day. All of my fish came relatively close to the shallows, like in 13 feet of water, and most people fish too deep in this river. I'll get up on top of the breaklines and stuff, and I'll jig very shallow, like 10, 12, 13 feet, and that's where we caught them yesterday.

Hopefully, this cold front didn't knock them off the top of that ledge, but it's a possibility, and if so, I've got a million more spots out here. I've been guiding out here for about 16 years, for everything that swims. The only thing that hurts me, is when it's calm, and those guys can go out on Lake Erie and troll, because being in a bass boat makes it pretty difficult to troll. I'm a "jigger", and I've been a "jigger" my whole life in here, and I just need the wind to blow again today and keep some of those guys off the lake.

Juls: A Walleye Central reader emailed me last night asking about your boat, and I know many of our die hard Walleye anglers are going to say, "Bass Boat?" "Huh?" What do you have to say those who think you can't catch walleye out of a Bass boat? The fact that you're sitting in 9th right now with over 31 pounds of fish should tell them, but what do you have to say to those comments? (smile)

Jon: (laughs) Well, the bass boat is easier to fish out of when your jiggin, because if your JUST jigging, it doesn't blow around like a real tall aluminum does. And, a lot of guys will say that I'm insane to say this, but I've fished a lot of Bass Master Tournaments on Lake Erie...even out of Buffalo...and I would say, and they're going to call me crazy, but a 21 foot bass boat rides better in big waves on Lake Erie than a 21 foot Walleye boat. Because, a Walleye boat plows the waves, where a bass boat will actually surf on top of them. And, if you're an experienced boat driver, I believe a Bass boat will keep you safer on the big water...even though it may not be as easy to fish out of once you get there. Riding in it is just a lot better.

But, I'll fish primarily in the river from April to June for Walleye, Muskie, and Bass, and then I go out on Lake St Clair in the summer. I just find that the platform of a Bass boat has a lot more space as far as standing and fishing. I just think that it being a low profile boat, it doesn't blow around as much...especially, in a strong wind like we had yesterday. I didn't have any issues at all.

Juls: So, your game plan today is to hit the river again....can you elaborate?

Jon: The game plan today, is to hit the spots where we caught them all yesterday, and if it doesn't pan out I'm going to go and hit a bunch of other areas that are known to hold some larger fish. There's a lot of areas that just have males, and a lot of areas that just have big females, and once you figure them out, you do a lot better. The areas that I'm going to hit are known for the bigger females. I'm not even going to mess with the "eaters". I think the key today, and what a lot of people don't realize is, once the water hits 45-47 degrees, I stop using a minnow. But, in a cold front situation a minnow definitely helps. We got all our fish yesterday with a minnow on a jig. And, I'm hoping a lot of these guys didn't go to the baitshop this morning, because their confident in their plastics! (laughs)

I know when it gets cold, when it gets sunny...post frontal situations...a minnow tipped on your jig...as long as the water's below 52-53 degrees, a minnow definitely helps in a cold front situation.

Juls: What's the water temp in the river right now?

Jon: The water temp should only be 44-45 degrees right now, but I saw in our area yesterday, it was 50 degrees already. That shouldn't happen for another couple of weeks yet. So, a lot of the fish are spawned out, and it's really progressed a lot quicker than it was, because I should be catching more than 31 pounds. But, we had a full moon about a week ago and a lot of those fish have already dumped and are gone.
Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:48 pm View user's profile Send private message
justfishguideservice
Gold Club Member

Post Reply with quote
I wish you 5 big bites, good luck "Jon"

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:09 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
CL_Fishin
Trophy hunter

Post Reply with quote
Hope you have a BIG day tomorrow Jon!
Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:28 pm View user's profile Send private message
chartertalk
1000 Post Club

Post Reply with quote
Good luck to my friends on the co angler side, Troy Cox #1 of Mizmo Baits and Kyle Schoosh #9.
Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:38 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
fishmonger
1000 Post Club

Post Reply with quote
great interview, good luck on day 3
Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:17 am View user's profile Send private message
mark steinert
Gold Club Member

Post Reply with quote
Great interview Jon. Keep it up on day 3.
Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:19 am View user's profile Send private message
pickerelmike
Avid Angler

Post Reply with quote
WTG Jon good job well done wish you would have finished 1st 8 is very good & in the money.
Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:59 pm View user's profile Send private message
Jon Bondy
Fishing Professional

Post Reply with quote
Thanks guys. We caught a 6 1/4 lb average over days one and two on a single spot, but never had a bite there today. We had almost 30lbs in the first drift the first day, but they moved on me big time. I ended up being the highest finishing guy who never left the river, as everyone above me said the fished the lake some today. The south wind messed with plenty of river spots, plus we could only fish US water in this event. I was lucky for all the wind, cause if it had been calm those guys would have crushed me on the lake....Later lads!
Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:07 pm View user's profile Send private message
justfishguideservice
Gold Club Member

Post Reply with quote
Jon Bondy wrote:
Thanks guys. We caught a 6 1/4 lb average over days one and two on a single spot, but never had a bite there today. We had almost 30lbs in the first drift the first day, but they moved on me big time. I ended up being the highest finishing guy who never left the river, as everyone above me said the fished the lake some today. The south wind messed with plenty of river spots, plus we could only fish US water in this event. I was lucky for all the wind, cause if it had been calm those guys would have crushed me on the lake....Later lads!
Nice job man!

Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:47 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Nickg3369
Fishing Legend

Post Reply with quote
Nice going Jon!
Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:10 pm View user's profile Send private message
mark steinert
Gold Club Member

Post Reply with quote
Congrats on the finish Jon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:34 am View user's profile Send private message
Jon Bondy
Fishing Professional

Post Reply with quote
Thanks guys.
Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Skunked.ca Forum Index » Majors All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: