Skunked.ca Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlist Log in

Finally, I'm getting around to it!

Reply to topic    Skunked.ca Forum Index » Intros and Welcomes View previous topic
View next topic
Finally, I'm getting around to it!
gman74
Outdoor Lover

Post Finally, I'm getting around to it! Reply with quote
He guys not really new, been an member since end of May but haven't really logged in or got around to introducing myself here. Some of you may be familiar with me from a few other boards, specifically Spoonpullers as Gman or Channel 6-8 (Stomps board) as Gcman, maybe also OFNC with similar username. Still fishing, mainly Lake Ontario for kings then Erie for walleye and bass with some musky on the side Smile

Got a new ride for spring of '10, a 2010 Ranger 621 with the new 300 Yamaha & 9.9 HT kicker. Here's a pic

Been a fun season so far and can't believe we're nearing the end of another soft water season Crying or Very sad

Here's 2 quick reports for ya, the latest trip to Huron, OH was just this past last weekend.

Thanksgiving Weekend

As usual like we've been doing for years we take Friday off and driving down Thursday eve after work and arrive at the "dark side" usually around 11pm. Friday and Saturday I fish smallies then we all gather Sunday aft for traditional Thanksgiving dinner then get up & hit the road Monday morn @5am to avoid traffic.

This year was a little different, althought we still drove down Thursday after but my fishing got called cause water had all of a sudden rose a couple of feet and couple that with the rains & high winds So did lots of loungin' and eatin. Decided to drive back Sunday eve and having not fished in 4 weekends due to work I was going to do what I had to in order to get out and fish Monday. Made plans to hook up with my buddy Joe and hit Erie for some fall bronze backs.

Arrived home @ 12:30, went picked up the Ranger and put the charger on the batts. Got up @ 5 and met Joe @ his place for 6:30 and we were fishing out of Pt.Colborne by 8am, I feel better already Surface temp was 60.4.

We got in to fish right away, I was draggin' the traditional confidence bait - the tube, while Joe was drop shoting. The little breeze we had eventually died and so did the tube bite. I put the tube in the rod holder then proceeded to tie up a drop shot rig while I'm doing so the rod pops and I'm hooked up - hey this is kinda like trollin

Once the drop shot was tied and in action I tried my best to fish with 2 rods with the electric on 10 to give us a little movement, fishing with 2 rods in 2 hands ain't easy and lost a number of drop shot fish Eventually said forget it and put the tube down. By this time the water was flat and the bite slower. Joe changed up to a a smaller goby type imitation that real action with very little rod movement and he was hookin' up pretty regularly, I was using the Mark Kulik Strike Zone Slammers but had to almost not "giggle" the rod in order to get bit.

We had a mixed bag of fish with plenty of 3-4's and a couple pushing 5 and a few over 6 and one definitely over 6, closer to 7#. The 2 most memorable fish of the day was my 6.9# taken on the tube in the morn, she measured 21.6" in length with a girth of 17", the biggest smallie I've ever seen and caught - a true lake Erie pig monkey Thanks Joe for the awesome net job Then it was Joe's turn, he hooked up with a very similar sized fish on the shot and he was playing it out boat side and trying to get him a little closer in order for me to net, jumped once, then again and then line snapped We just felt sick after seing it soo close then it was gone - was similar in size to mine. Anyways that's the way it goes sometimes. Ended the day with somewhere around 40 or so fish - just what the doc had ordered. It was also perfect for me to practice and build my confidence with the drop shot technic

The funny part is we could have ran anywhere we wanted to on the lake that day but we fished 5mins from Port and probably didn't even burn $8 in fuel!

the fish in the left is 4# and the one on the right was 6.9#

buddy Joe with one of the many "cookie cutters" from the day

Another

Just this past weekend I hit Huron, OH for a Walleye g2g with my buddy Komo. Fish were all caught on Reef Runners anywhere from 80-150 back in 30-38 fow trolling 1.4-1.7 mph. The MVP's were Confusion, GoGo Girl and Fruitloops. Here's some photos -

Might hit St.Claire once before I put'er to away for the season and most likely a couple trips to Quinte.

Twitter @R621fisher
Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:50 pm View user's profile Send private message
steeliechaser
500 Post Club

Post Reply with quote
i love looking at pictures of huge smallies. especially when you can tell they've been stuffing themselves. thanks for sharing.
Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:46 pm View user's profile Send private message
bigtrout
Avid Angler

Post Reply with quote
Welcome
Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:02 pm View user's profile Send private message
Fishing Farmer
Gold Club Member

Post Reply with quote
Welcome to Skunked. Nice looking fish.Where did you go out of for the eye's.nice ride.

Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:19 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
gman74
Outdoor Lover

Post Reply with quote
Fishing Farmer wrote:
Welcome to Skunked. Nice looking fish.Where did you go out of for the eye's.nice ride.

That was across the lake in Huron, Ohio. Had a little g2g down there last weekend. Great fishing and fantastic people!

They really treat their sportsmen (hunters & fishermen) well. They really appreciate you deciding to go to their town to spend your valuable extra disposable income. Would be back in a heartbeat!

Hopefully I can make it out to Quinte next weekend.

Cheers G.

Twitter @R621fisher
Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:06 pm View user's profile Send private message
St Clair Hound
Gold Club Member

Post Reply with quote
Gotta luv it.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways - Fishing rod in one hand - beer in the
other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming
"WOO HOO, What a Ride!"

http://dogriverlodge.com
Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:12 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    Skunked.ca Forum Index » Intros and Welcomes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: