RegisterSearchFAQMemberlist Log in

Smoker - rainbow fillets and scales

Reply to topic    Skunked.ca Forum Index » Recipes View previous topic
View next topic
Smoker - rainbow fillets and scales
probak118
Trophy hunter

Post Smoker - rainbow fillets and scales Reply with quote
I know you leave the skin on but, do you remove the scales ? We want to use a marinet or the brine but when soaking scales will be all over the meat. Do you simply rince the fillet before putting in the smoker ?

Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:14 am View user's profile Send private message
Da Jimm'r
Gold Club Member

Post Reply with quote
I always leave the scales on and yes rinse the fillets off before you add them to the smoker. I use a dry rub more than I use liquid marinate.

Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:56 am View user's profile Send private message
hunter148
Fishing Legend

Post Reply with quote
Take the hide off IMO that allows you to take that skanky layer of red fat and blood and you will have a much better tasting fillet and if you freeze them after smoking the taste is much better. That fat is what gives rainbow the strong taste many find offensive.

All I do is clean all the skin and fat off. Sprinkle course salt in a pan, about 6or so grains in the area a Quarter covers, then brown sugar and some cajun to taste(or whatever spice you prefer). Put fish on top and add another layer of salt,sugar and spice and keep going until all fish is covered. DO NOT add water. Put in fridge for 24 -36 hours depending on how salty you prefer then smoke for an hour or two on low heat and lots of smoke, then 2-3 more hours at 180-200 degrees until dry to taste and voila! I guarantee it will be the best rainbow y0u have ever tasted.

The reason for no water is you are trying to dry the fish so why add water and the salt will draw enough moisture out of the meat that in 24 hours the pan will have enough water the fish will be covered. I always cut the fillets in half because the tails will be done before the fronts due to thickness.

Hope this helps!!
Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:20 am View user's profile Send private message
probak118
Trophy hunter

Post Reply with quote
Thanks , to both of you. We ended up trying four different (dry) spice combos and smoked as follows 1 hour at 100 F and closed vent for lots of smoke. Then 1.5 hrs at 140 F opening the vent a little more and finally, 2 hrs at 165 -175 F turning off the smoke for the last hour. Using a meat thermometer, all racks had a temperature over 140 F.
Not bad for a first time, not a big fish eater but it was good. Next time we will try your recipe.

Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:23 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Skunked.ca Forum Index » Recipes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: