I knew something was up!
Eric The Pirate
Site Admin

Post I knew something was up! Reply with quote
Record rainfall dampens Sarnia
Posted By By SHAWN JEFFORDS The Observer
Updated 14 hours ago

It’s one big soaking wet record.

Wednesday morning’s thunderstorm pushed the cumulative rainfall level to a new all-time high in the Sarnia area.

June and July have been doused with 287.4 millimetres, the wettest period for those two months since record-keeping began in 1882.

“I don’t think this will really be a revelation to anyone,” said Geoff Coulson, a meteorologist for Environment Canada. “Any way you slice it this is a record.”

The previous two-month record for June and July was 278.4 millimetres, set in 2000.

“I’ve been a meteorologist for 25 years and Ontario has the most variable climate I’ve seen,” Coulson said. “Just last year, 2007, it was very dry. My lawn was like the Sahara. This summer, my lawn sprinkler has been gathering cobwebs in the garage. Twelve months later it’s almost 180 degrees different.”

The soggy summer could also unleash a torrent of taxpayer tears.

Reg McMichael, manager of the Lambton Area Water Supply (LAWS), said the abundance of rain has lowered water demand by 680,000 cubic metres compared to this time last year.

When consumption declines, municipal water rates tend to rise.

LAWS is made up of seven Lambton municipalities: Sarnia, Pt. Edward, St. Clair Township, a portion of Lambton Shores, Warwick, Plympton-Wyoming and Alvinston. Last year the communities used more than 18.5 million cubic metres of water.

The extra rainfall isn’t only being tracked by garden water-gauges, said Sarnia’s director of finance Brian McKay.

Continued After Advertisement Below

Advertisement

“It’s one of those things we’re following on a monthly basis. We’re concerned,” McKay said. “Based on our experience in the past it’s a little early yet to call (a rate increase).”

Water rates aren’t set by municipalities until costs for capital work and projected consumption are set for the next year at budget time in December. Sarnia’s finance department is alarmed enough that it plans to file a report on the subject with city council this fall, McKay said.

“What we’re concerned with is that trend continuing through the remainder of the year,” said McKay.

Last year the city was also in a consumption deficit position but eventually came in with a surplus of over 200,000 cubic metres.

McMichael said that if the weather changes, and it could on a dime, water consumption could spike and all the worry be for naught.

“If people start watering their lawns and begin doing the outdoor activities associated with dryer weather ... then you’re going to get increased usage.”

Sarnia’s rainfall so far this month has reached 151.2 millimetres, making it the wettest July since 1992.

Seen It All... Done It All... Forgot Most Of It...
Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:32 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tempus
1000 Post Club

Post Reply with quote
I really don't get how they can increase the rates, when we're not using as much water? It's like being punished for doing something good.

^BD

Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:56 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Skunked.ca Forum Index » Weather All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: