healtiest way to cook fish??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Skunked.ca Forum Index » Recipes View previous topic
View next topic
healtiest way to cook fish??
phatpelkey
1000 Post Club

Post healtiest way to cook fish?? Reply with quote
well i was just thinking is there any other way to cook perch or any other fish then pan frying or deepfrying but still getting the same crispyness?
does anyone cook fish in the oven??

maybe even attach a reciptie (not to crazy ppl i liek my fish to taste somwhat liek fish lol)
Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:18 pm View user's profile Send private message
The Bobber
1000 Post Club

Post Reply with quote
I do my Trout on a cedar plank on the BBQ, tastes great. I have baked fish in the oven, like it fried better though.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
Eric The Pirate
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Wrap the fillet in Cabbage and steam it.

Seen It All... Done It All... Forgot Most Of It...
Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:28 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tempus
1000 Post Club

Post Reply with quote
The healthiest way to cook any meat is by using a dry heat cooking method. Ie: braising, roasting, baking, grilling, etc.

I'd do the following:

Remove the skin. I know it's tasty, but there's a subcutaneous layer of fat that is not condusive to a healthy diet, although most fish fats are healther pound for pound than the saturated fats of red meat.

Spray a piece of tin foil (large enough to completely wrap the fish) with a non-fat cooking spray.

Lay the fillets in the center with some sliced onions and mushrooms, slice of lemon, and season with salt and pepper. If you're on a sodium reduced diet, omit the salt and use a dash of grated garlic, chopped parsley and a few sprigs of thyme (or sprinkle with dried if you don't have fresh)

Wrap it up and bake in the oven, or on the grill, for 15-20 minutes. Open the foil to let the steam escape, and bake for an additional three or four minutes to crisp it up a little.

Turn out onto a plate and add your side dish and enjoy.

Alternate : Keep the skin on and spray a grill with the non-fat cooking spray. Season the fish and grill until done. Remove skin before eating.

Poaching in a court boullion or fish stock is also a healthy alternative, although it won't be crispy.

If it's only that crispy texture you're looking for, your options are going to be a little limited if you want to keep it healthy.
Hope this helps. Very Happy

Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:34 pm View user's profile Send private message
Tempus
1000 Post Club

Post Reply with quote
Great ideas guys. Very Happy

Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:36 pm View user's profile Send private message
The Bobber
1000 Post Club

Post Reply with quote
well that made me hungry....what's in the fridge?

Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:37 pm View user's profile Send private message
phatpelkey
1000 Post Club

Post Reply with quote
thanks for new ideas doesnt have to be chrispy but i dont want it to fall apart either until i eat it!!
Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:42 pm View user's profile Send private message
Tempus
1000 Post Club

Post Reply with quote
If you take Eric's idea of wrapping it in a cabbage leaf and steaming it, you could then eat it like a little cabbage roll-type sandwich. No fuss no muss. Very Happy

Add a healthy dipping sauce and bob's yer uncle.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:44 pm View user's profile Send private message
always-topless
Gold Club Member

Post Reply with quote
Don't know if it is healthy or not but I like to: Take a bag of hickory sticks and smash the hell out of them in a bigger bag (zip lock bags are great for this one) make sure that they are as fine as you can get them. Get a small bowl with 2 eggs and some cream (half and half works also) beat them rapidly. Them put a table spoon so olive oil into a pan heat on high. Once the pan starts to smoke turn heat down a little. Dip the fillets into the eggs and then into the baggie. Shake rapidly till nice and coated. Then into the hot pan for about 2 mins. then turn over for about the same......this is great on a camping trip.......Jim

Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:53 pm View user's profile Send private message
Tempus
1000 Post Club

Post Reply with quote
Recommended dipping sauce

Roasted Red Pepper

Take a few red peppers and put them on a grill (or if you use a gas range, the flame will do nicely)
Grill until black, and I do mean black, all the way around. Run under cold water to peel away the black skin. Remove the seeds. Put them in a blender, adding a garlic clove, some thyme, black pepper, and puree, adding some clam juice while you puree until the mixture is smooth and a nice dipping consistancy. You want it on the thicker side, like a ranch dressing.
Most if not all grocery stores carry clam juice now (without the clams) so it should be easy to find. If you can't find any, use a dash of lemon juice and a vegetable juice, like V-8.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:54 pm View user's profile Send private message
always-topless
Gold Club Member

Post Reply with quote
Another would be to lay tinfoil down.. Take a can of stewed tomatoes, Some mushrooms (canned or fresh) sliced in half, some green peppers and red peppers sliced , an onion, sliced into slices , garlic powder, salt and pepper: First lay down a layer of peppers (green and red) then layer of onions and a little bit of butter. next lay your fish fillets on top of the peppers and repeat. Seasoned on top with the garlic and salt and pepper. Drain off the juice from the tomatoes and put around the fish with the mushrooms. Seal up the fish into a foil pack but leave a small hole on top for the tinfoil to allow steam to escape. Just a pin hole. Cook in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20-30 mins. Or until the fish looks cooked. In the mean time make up a nice plate of rice for the fish and the inner ingredients to sit on after it is cooked. There, the fish is not deep fryed, so it most be healthy........Jim

Last edited by always-topless on Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:08 pm View user's profile Send private message
Tempus
1000 Post Club

Post Reply with quote
Jim, that's a MUCH healther dish than the other suggestion, although I have to admit your previous idea did sound delicious. LOL
I would only make the suggestion to substitute the butter for a lower-fat choice, like perhaps "I can't believe it's not butter" ? Or a low fat margarine. Yes, I know margarines are supposed to be loaded with saturated fats, but they are getting better. Just pay attention to the label. LOL

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:19 pm View user's profile Send private message
St Clair Hound
Gold Club Member

Post Reply with quote
To hell with healthy I'm goin out with a bang!

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways - Fishing rod in one hand - beer in the
other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming
"WOO HOO, What a Ride!"

http://dogriverlodge.com
Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:24 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
The Bobber
1000 Post Club

Post Reply with quote
LOL. I'm with hound. Wash it down with a beer( Not light beer).Nothin better than a fish fry.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
96dak

Post Reply with quote
thats what my dad said till he had a massive stroke at 55, but i think all the chemicals taken during 60's and 70's hepled with that. now he watches what he eats and hasnt has a cigarette since being admitted to the hospital, and 2 months in in-patient Laughing
Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:28 pm
always-topless
Gold Club Member

Post Reply with quote
Thanks Tempus , I could dig up a couple more. But how much fish does he want to cook?.......Jim

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:30 pm View user's profile Send private message
Tempus
1000 Post Club

Post Reply with quote
I have no idea Jim. He didn't say LOL

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:32 pm View user's profile Send private message
Fisheye
Belle River Gang

Post Reply with quote
Perch fillets, egg wash, cracker crumbs and deep fry! Wash it all down with some PBR! "YEAH BABY!"

If you want to catch a fish, you have to drink like a fish!

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:36 pm View user's profile Send private message
always-topless
Gold Club Member

Post Reply with quote
Now your talking Paul.......The Hell with it......Jim

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:39 pm View user's profile Send private message
The Bobber
1000 Post Club

Post Reply with quote
I was just thinking, where is Fisheye on this one? lol

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:39 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Skunked.ca Forum Index » Recipes All times are GMT - 4 Hours